Former Israeli PM Bennett Reveals Israel Smuggled Starlink Systems Into Iran
· 157 views
Jerusalem (Daily Urdu) Former Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett has revealed that during his tenure, Israel secretly smuggled Starlink satellite internet receivers into Iran to help anti-government protesters maintain access to the internet and social media.
Speaking at the JNS International Policy Summit in Jerusalem, Bennett, who served as Israel's prime minister from 2021 to 2022, said his government launched an operation to obtain and smuggle "thousands of Starlink receivers" into Iran, enabling uninterrupted internet connectivity despite government restrictions.
Starlink is a satellite internet service operated by Elon Musk's company, SpaceX, providing internet access in remote and underserved areas.
According to Bennett, the devices were intended to help Iranian protesters communicate, organize demonstrations, and remain connected during periods of internet shutdowns imposed by Iranian authorities.
He also criticized Israel's current government, saying it failed to continue the initiative. "Unfortunately, the current incompetent government did not carry on the project. When the protest movement emerged, the necessary infrastructure was not in place," Bennett said.
Iran has long accused Israel and the United States of smuggling Starlink equipment into the country to undermine its national security. Although Starlink is not officially licensed to operate in Iran, Elon Musk has previously stated that the service is active inside the country.
There was no immediate response from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office regarding Bennett's remarks, while SpaceX had not commented at the time of publication.
Related Articles
Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman if It Interferes in U.S.-Iran Talks
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it obstructs U.S.-Iran talks, as Tehran says a maritime transit understanding has been reached over the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump Confirms Secret U.S. Contacts With Iran’s Revolutionary Guard
Trump confirms reports of secret U.S. contacts with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, while Tehran denies any backchannel talks with Washington.
Houthis Attack Saudi Naval Vessels Near Yemen’s Mokha Port
Houthis claim missile attacks on a Saudi military vessel and four escort ships near Yemen’s Red Sea port of Mokha.
Myanmar: 59 Civilians Killed in Military Operations in First Two Weeks of August
Myanmar’s military operations reportedly left 59 civilians killed, including five children, between August 1 and 14, while airstrikes and clashes in several regions also left civilians and military personnel dead.