Iran announces closure of Strait of Hormuz, US denies disruption
· 122 views
IranTehran/Washington DC (Terror Monitor) Iran’s Khatam al-Anbiya Headquarters has announced the closure of the Strait of Hormuz to maritime traffic, escalating tensions in the region and raising global concern over potential disruptions to energy supplies.
According to Iran’s state news agency IRNA, the statement said the decision was taken due to alleged US violations of a ceasefire agreement and failure to implement its first clause. It claimed that Washington had breached commitments, prompting Tehran’s move to restrict access to the strategic waterway.
The statement further linked the decision to ongoing violence in southern Lebanon, large-scale casualties and displacement, and the failure of Israeli forces to withdraw from the area. It described the move as a “first step” in response to what it called enemy non-compliance, warning of further measures if violations continue.
However, US Vice President JD Vance rejected the claim that the Strait of Hormuz had been closed. Speaking to Fox News, he said there was no evidence of any disruption and that the waterway remained fully open.
US Central Command (CENTCOM) also stated that commercial shipping through the Strait continued normally. It said 55 commercial vessels transited the waterway on June 20, moving more than 17 million barrels of oil to global markets.
CENTCOM added that US forces were ensuring freedom of navigation and the continued flow of maritime traffic in the region, stressing that the international shipping route remained secure and operational.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy had earlier warned that, due to alleged ceasefire violations by the US and Israel, all vessels could be barred from approaching the Strait, cautioning that their safety could not be guaranteed.
Analysts say any real closure of the Strait of Hormuz could have severe implications for global oil supplies and energy markets, although US officials insist the passage remains open and fully functional.
Related Articles
Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman if It Interferes in U.S.-Iran Talks
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it obstructs U.S.-Iran talks, as Tehran says a maritime transit understanding has been reached over the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump Confirms Secret U.S. Contacts With Iran’s Revolutionary Guard
Trump confirms reports of secret U.S. contacts with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, while Tehran denies any backchannel talks with Washington.
Houthis Attack Saudi Naval Vessels Near Yemen’s Mokha Port
Houthis claim missile attacks on a Saudi military vessel and four escort ships near Yemen’s Red Sea port of Mokha.
Myanmar: 59 Civilians Killed in Military Operations in First Two Weeks of August
Myanmar’s military operations reportedly left 59 civilians killed, including five children, between August 1 and 14, while airstrikes and clashes in several regions also left civilians and military personnel dead.