Tons of Nuclear Material Found at Undeclared Syrian Site, IAEA Chief Says
· 41 views
Brussels (Terror Monitor) — International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Rafael Grossi has revealed that tons of nuclear material have been discovered at a previously undeclared nuclear site in Syria, which is believed to date back to the era of the country’s former rulers.
Speaking at a press conference in Damascus on Tuesday, August 18, alongside Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shibani, Grossi said the IAEA had gained access to the site following information provided by the Syrian government.
Addressing al-Shibani, Grossi said, “Following your courageous decision to inform us that there was another location where nuclear material had been stored, we were able to access the site and found a significant quantity of nuclear material there.”
The IAEA chief said the amount of material discovered was substantial, describing it as being measured in tons and warning that it could potentially have been used for harmful purposes.
“We are talking about a very large quantity of nuclear material, measured in tons, which could have been used for malicious purposes,” Grossi said.
During the press conference, al-Shibani said the nuclear material found at the undeclared site was not dangerous and would remain under the protection of the Syrian government.
He added that Syria would provide the IAEA with all necessary guarantees in accordance with international standards to ensure the material remains secure.
Related Articles
Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman if It Interferes in U.S.-Iran Talks
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it obstructs U.S.-Iran talks, as Tehran says a maritime transit understanding has been reached over the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump Confirms Secret U.S. Contacts With Iran’s Revolutionary Guard
Trump confirms reports of secret U.S. contacts with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, while Tehran denies any backchannel talks with Washington.
Houthis Attack Saudi Naval Vessels Near Yemen’s Mokha Port
Houthis claim missile attacks on a Saudi military vessel and four escort ships near Yemen’s Red Sea port of Mokha.
Myanmar: 59 Civilians Killed in Military Operations in First Two Weeks of August
Myanmar’s military operations reportedly left 59 civilians killed, including five children, between August 1 and 14, while airstrikes and clashes in several regions also left civilians and military personnel dead.